September 8, 2009

Weekly News Recap 9/06/09


[Bit late on the recap this week owing to the holiday weekend and a road trip. On the plus side I finally have my HDTV back so I can, y'know, read the text of games I play]

Ever since he inserted himself polygonally into the tutorial for Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy I've had a bit of a mancrush on David Cage. There's something reassuring, if smug, about a director explaining, in-game, that you're about to experience something so different from the norm that he needs to break you of years of gaming habits. Now he's come right out and said that players should play through Heavy Rain only once. With re-playability a key selling point for most games that's quite a bold statement (badum ching!), but one I respect. I played through Indigo Prophecy last summer exactly that way - I didn't repeat sections that went badly, nor did I play through it again to get a "better" ending. IP, unfortunately, has its share of game over screens so I still repeated a bit, but it left a clear mark on my gaming habits. Now, rather than try to see everything, do every side quest, and get the best gear (I'm looking at you Crisis Core!) I approach games with a one-time-only mindset and I think it's high time more games made that take advantage of that kind of player. Hopefully Heavy Rain is successful because of it's consequence heavy game play and future developers realize the untapped story telling potential therein.

Not to re-ignite any hard feelings about the lack of BC on all but the earliest PS3s, but it's rather interesting what sort of creativity is engendered by constraint in the gaming world. In an effort to milk more money from the franchise Sony will re-release enhanced versions of God of War 1&2 for the PS3. Shameless attempt to make money though it be it strikes me as far more appropriate to actually take the time to update a golden oldie than to simply port it (I'm looking at you Wii Virtual Console). The work required to re-vamp a game for modern consoles is considerably less than building a game from scratch and greatly increases a game's longevity. Look at the great work Capcom did with Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Personally, as I get older I'm less inclined to keep old consoles around nor do I want to spend money to play an exact copy of something I already own. Giving me a little something extra is a great way to re-kindle nostalgia and let me show people an older game without feeling like the geezer who drones on about how much better Atari 2600 games were.

No comments:

Post a Comment